Wednesday, August 17, 2005

I'm Straight

So, Ricky, are you gay?

Marinel R. Cruz
Inquirer News Service

"THAT Jackie Lou and I have separated is old news. [And] now that I'm in this film, people think we split up because I'm gay," said actor Ricky Davao, who plays a homosexual writer of romantic novelettes in the movie "Pusang Gala."

Davao said he was "tired of telling people that I'm straight," having had to promote films like "Mga Lalaki sa Buhay ni Selya," "American Adobo" and "Bikini Open" where he portrayed different gay characters.

"If that's what people think of me, bahala na sila. It doesn't bother me anymore," Davao told Inquirer Entertainment in an exclusive interview on Friday. "There is intrigue in every industry. But in show biz, it is always magnified. It happens all the time. I've learned to accept that. Otherwise, I would never be happy; I would forever be paranoid."

Davao said even his wife, TV host Jackie Lou Blanco, was handling the "gay rumor" really well. "She just laughs it off." Although he recalled that when Jackie Lou first saw his kissing scene with Allan Paule in "Selya," she nearly fell off her seat. "She knew my character was gay; she read the script. I guess it's different when you see it on the big screen."

The award-winning actor said his wife had yet to watch his controversial shower and kissing scenes with newcomer Lauren Novero in "Pusang Gala."

"My kids (Kenneth, Rikki Mae and Arabella) are already asking if they can watch the movie," Davao said. "I told them, maybe when they're older. But they know I play gay roles." First in RP The Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) has given "Pusang Gala" an R-13 rating.

"My youngest daughter, when she was 6, saw 'Selya' on CinemaOne," Davao recounted. "When I arrived home, she had this smile on her face. She said, 'Papa, I saw you; you were kissing a boy. It's okay. I know you were just pretending.' They understand because I explain my work to them."

Davao flew to Cebu City a few hours after this interview. The trip was to promote "Pusang Gala" in the South. Here in Manila, he said he had gone as far as distributing posters and flyers of the film to beauty parlors and gas stations. He even convinced the Quezon City Sports Club to help distribute the promo materials.

"I'm part-owner of this film," he explained. "This means that, instead of getting my talent fee in full, part of it went to the production of the movie. Also, I signed a contract that says I get a portion of the earnings. Kaya masarap trabahuhin."

He added: "I think this is the first time this (payment scheme) is being done here. In Hollywood, actors are given a certain percent of the returns in, let's say, Japan or the whole of Asia. In the end, this is usually bigger than their talent fee."

According to Davao, no major producer would do an independent film like "Pusang Gala." "It's something out of the formula. Indie films are a welcome change in this industry. This means that even without the backing of a big producer, a filmmaker's vision could still be realized. The only thing we need now is the support from the audience."

"Pusang Gala" also stars Irma Adlawan, Reggie Curley and Archie Galura. Ellen Ongkeko-Marfil directs. The movie opens today in theaters.

1 comment:

blogger said...

Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara @ gmail . com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348104102662 ).